Keywords are the new currency in the online marketing age. If you know how to sow the right keywords on the World Wide Web (in technical jargon this is called “keyword seeding”), you have a good chance of getting a good harvest later – in the form of many website visitors.
But from the beginning: what is a keyword? Well, it’s best to just translate it. The keyword means keyword. It is the word that is figuratively the key to the user or the customer. This keyword plays a huge role in online marketing. Anyone who has mastered the art of perfect keyword seeding will first gather interested parties – for the website or a landing page on a specific topic.
The formula for success: what to look for in keywords
Your keywords should have these characteristics:
- Use transaction keywords with a high hit rate in your target group, especially at the beginning. For example: When you open SEO services, your first keywords should not be generic (i.e. general), but should be more specific.
- For example, “What is SEO”. In doing so, you reduce the size of your target group, but you reach exactly the target group that you want to address.
- The keywords should have a high search volume, i.e. be used or searched by many users. This is especially recommended if you are found a little better. This is how you expand your online target group.
- At the same time, you should make sure that you have as few competitors as possible for the keyword used.
Small keyword multiplication table
Users enter keywords when they search for information, products, or services on the Internet. After the entry, the websites that Google considers relevant.
For example, appear because they come closest to the term or phrase searched for.
There are different types of keywords:
- For example, general information can be searched for using a navigation keyword on “domains”.
- It becomes more specific with the information keyword “Domains explanation.
- Research keywords, such as “SEO Services”, are used when there is increased buying interest.
- And if you want to “set up a domain”, ie of course also buy it, you use transaction keywords.
There are short and long-tail keywords, ie keywords that only consist of two terms, such as “How much SEO Services cost” or several terms, such as “SEO Services cheaper in India“. The former has a high search volume, but a poorer conversion rate, the others hit the bull’s eye, but don’t attract the masses either.
Comparison between general and specific keywords
Advantage: General keywords attract the attention of many users.
Disadvantage: the large keyword competition, which competes for the best places in search queries.
Advantage: In contrast to general keywords, specific keywords only appeal to users who are specifically looking for an offer.
Disadvantage: Maybe the keywords are not known at all or are not used.
For this reason, a good mix of general and specific keywords should be used.
Put yourself in the user’s mind
It is very helpful in keyword search to think yourself into the user.
The key questions you should ask yourself are:
- “How does the customer search?”
- “How does he see your product?”
- “What are the terms he is looking for?”
- “What problem does he want to solve?”
Incidentally, keyword seeding does not have to be case sensitive. This applies to the definition of the ads, but also to the meta-information in the page source text. Umlauts are interpreted differently, even if the search results are very similar. Therefore, if in doubt, both spellings should be available.
It’s also a good idea to include common misspellings in the keywords. Also interesting are word groups, sequences, abbreviations as well as combinations that are written or spelled out.
Google Keyword Planner: Successor to the AdWords Keyword Tool
The Google Keyword Planner is actually aimed at advertisers, but it is a great way to find keywords.
Ultimately, you should note that although keyword optimization is important, Google is now penalizing websites that are too strongly optimized. Ultimately, the main thing is that your website visitors and not the crawler is enthusiastic about your offer and your content. And one more thing: Optimized once does not always mean optimal. With regular analysis, you can improve your website every day.