E-Mail Marketing – How to Plan Campaign
Email marketing is one of the most effective digital marketing tools to reach our target audience. Its advantages with respect to SEO or social media positioning are related to its immediacy, low costs and flexibility. But its management is complex, which is why in most cases the desired results are not achieved. Below I am going to explain some aspects to keep in mind for our email marketing strategy to work.
Table of Contents – Step by Step Guide
- 1 What is email marketing?
- 1.1 Types of e-mailings.
- 2 Advantages of email marketing campaigns
- 3 Steps to follow to do an email marketing campaign
- 3.1 Why use an email marketing platform?
- 4 How to analyze the results of an email marketing campaign?
- 4.1 Opening percentage
- 4.2 Click Through Rate (CTR)
- 4.3 Casualty and rebound rate
- 5 SMS campaigns. The little brother of email marketing
What is E-Mail Marketing?
By e- mail marketing we understand the sending of communication by email with a clear objective to a specific user database, from whom we have your consent to send. Its version in the offline world would be direct marketing.
Among the most common objectives we can find:
- Communicate and offer or promotion (2 × 1, Last days !, Day without VAT …)
- Build loyalty by offering information of interest (articles, course information, etc.).
- Announce a novel fact.
- Confirm a subscription, registration, or sale.
- Encourage sales to both an online store and our physical store
Types of E-mailings
Regarding the types of mailing, we can establish three according to your objective:
- Newsletter. They are usually shipped periodically. They can include content of different types: articles, course information, offers, promotions, etc. This mailing will help us build customer loyalty.
- Advertising or promotional mailing . Ships on time. With it we can present a new product, communicate a specific offer, send personalized offers to those who have already bought us a certain product, etc.
- Transactional mailing . It is the email we receive when the user performs an action, for example, a purchase or a subscription. It’s the typical “Thank you for your trust. Your order has been confirmed. ” It is interesting to take advantage of this impact to ask the user to follow us on social networks, continue visiting our website or offer a discount coupon for their next purchase.
Advantages of E-mail Marketing
Speed. –The time to design a mail marketing campaign is relatively short. If we have all the necessary information, in a maximum of a couple of hours we can make our shipment.
Immediacy -The recipient receives it at the moment we decide immediately.
Direct – The communication of a mailing must be direct, both in the subject and in the copy and in the call to action. And all the elements must be at the service of the CTA. Otherwise, we will not achieve the objectives.
Personalized – Each recipient can receive a fully personalized email. Not only can fields such as name or company be customized, but also by segmenting the database, we will send each user the information that really interests them.
Segmentation – The database is not just a list of emails. The more enriched we have it, the more we can segment.
We can segment by location, by the activity they have previously had with other campaigns (if they opened an email if they did not open it if they clicked …), by sex, by age, etc …
Higher ROI – If we have a quality database or list of subscribers, the return on investment (ROI) will be much higher than that of other means. This is because in email marketing it is the user who has shown interest in the company by subscribing or leaving us their data. For this reason, the term marketing permission is also often used for this tool.
Economical – You just have to layout the mailing, segment the database, write the texts, and execute the sending. Much lower expenses than a CPC or display campaign.
The only thing that, if we do not have a database, we will have to rent one to third parties.
Ecological – It does not pollute. Unlike direct marketing, neither inks, paper nor means of transport are used.
Easy to measure – The results of a mailing marketing campaign are obtained immediately. And 3 days after shipment we can already conclude it.
Recommended read – How to use a website’s metadata correctly – an SEO guide
STEPS TO FOLLOW TO DO AN EMAIL MARKETING CAMPAIGN –
- Specification of objectives. We must answer the question of why we are going to send an email.
- Have a database or list of subscribers and segment it. In future posts, I will explain how to gain subscribers.
- Make a persuasive copy for both the subject and the mailing.
The subject should never be capitalized or very long. If you bet because it is a question, the answer must always be “Yes”.
- Design and program the mailing and the landing page to which the mail is redirected if necessary. I recommend always using the same corporate template.
Mailing should never be just an image. It must be an HTML file with text and images. 40% image and 60% text recommended.
- Pay special attention to the “call to action” button. It is the critical point of mailing. It has to capture the user’s interest and get them to click.
My advice is that it be a single color, with a text larger than the rest, with an adverb that encourages action (For example: Now) and be surrounded by white or neutral colors.
- Have an email marketing platform. Some of the best known are Acumbamail, Mailer, Mailchimp, or Mailrelay.
Please forget to send with Outlook or a similar program.
- Make test shipments and schedule the final shipment. Not any time is good. We do not recommend shipping on weekends or first thing in the morning.
- Analyze the results and draw conclusions.
Why to use an E-mail Marketing Platform ?
They are many and it is worth betting on one of them even if we have to pay to make a shipment. To mention some advantages:
- It allows us to manage our database or subscription list and create forms or pop ups to capture more leads .
- Easily design an email from a predetermined template.
- Schedule a shipment at a certain time and by time bands.
- It is paid based on the number of subscribers. Many of them are free up to a certain number of registrations or shipments.
- Results report in real time.
- Possibility of doing A / B tests and test shipments.
- It allows us to automate shipments. For example, sending a reminder email to those who have registered for a webinar.
- Although the sender address is our domain, since the server address is different, our IP will not be reported as SPAM.
Also, see – How to improve your SEO ranking of a website
How to Analyze the result of E-mail Marketing?
The most important metrics that should be analyzed in any email marketing campaign are the open rate, the click rate, the hard bounce rate, the soft bounce rate or the unsubscribe rate .
The open percentage is the first metric to consider. It refers to the percentage of users who opened the email among the total sent. This result depends 100% on the sender and the subject. If the percentages are very low, they must be changed. The above 20% is already considered optimal, although it depends on sectors.
I always recommend that we go to do a mailing marketing campaign to pre-send A / B testing for both the subject and the sender.
Although many advertisers are reluctant, the recipient is preferably always the name of a natural person, if possible, recognized by the recipients.
CLICK THROUGH RATE (CTR)
The second metric to analyze is the clickthrough rate. We refer to the percentage of users who have clicked on the different links in the mailing. This depends on creativity (design and copies). If we have a very low ratio, we must change the design and/or the texts.
To test this point we can also do a previous testing campaign and thus send the content that has worked best.
This ratio is considered good from 2%, although it will depend on the content of the message and the benefit for the user.
CASUALTIES AND REBOUNDS RATE
And as for the losses , if shipments are made with external databases, they are usually high. Or if you do it to an old database, it is very possible that it will generate many bounces . The ideal in the latter case is to debug and enrich it.
I recommend removing from the database all those records that in the last 6 months have not interacted any of our campaigns.
SMS CAMPAIGNS – The little brother of E-mail Marketing
Although we believe that SMS marketing campaigns are no longer used, they are still a very valuable tool to retain and maintain contact with customers. In addition, since we hardly receive SMS today, they have better acceptance and, therefore, a very high opening rate.
The objectives that we can set ourselves with this type of campaign are practically the same as with mail marketing campaigns: to communicate news, order statuses or to remember an appointment.
SMS and mail marketing campaigns, well combined, will help us convert our leads into potential customers.
Do you dare to plan a mail marketing campaign and complement it with an SMS one? If yes, we trust that all of these recommendations will help you make your email campaign a success. You already tell us!
It is a complementary communication channel to mail marketing actions.