Search engines display the meta title and meta description of a website in their search results. The title tag is a ranking factor of the search engines, the meta description is not. Your task for content optimization: Use suitable keywords and formulations. With the optimizations, you improve the ranking, increase the click rate, and attract more visitors to your website!
What is metadata?
The title tag and meta description are intended to describe the content of each individual URL for search engines and potential visitors to your website. The page title is also a ranking factor and, if well designed, like the meta description, can have a positive impact on the click rate. The following HTML code is in the header of the HTML page and corresponds to the metadata of this entry:
<title> SEO Guide Metadata: Title & Meta Description </title>
<meta name = “description” content = “Metadata inform visitors and search engines about the page content and are sometimes a ranking factor. Optimize metadata now! “/>
Search engines, other websites and social media platforms show the given information, which should summarize the content as best as possible. Important : Google, Bing and the other search engines can also display alternative metadata. This can happen if the page content matches the search query, but the specified metadata does not. Therefore use suitable keywords!
SEO Guide: Tips for building title tags and meta descriptions
The content of the metadata is important for search engines and visitors alike. Every URL needs its individual and unique metadata. The following notes help you create metadata with added value that informs potential page visitors and encourages them to click.
- The title contains the main key word of the post, in this article it is the word “metadata”.
- Depending on the website, the title of each article can end with the name of the company or website, for example: “SEO Guide Metadata: Title & Meta-Description | Godaddy Domain Factory “
- The title is a maximum of 65 characters long, the meta description 156 characters .
- Alternative metadata can be displayed for devices such as smartphones , but the space available for the meta description shrinks to 120 characters .
- Important keywords belong to the beginning where possible . Longer descriptions are partially shortened automatically on smartphones.
- Avoid so-called keyword stuffing : the massive use of keywords. Write for the reader, naturally and correctly.
- Write unique metadata for each post on your website . Each page is unique and has its own main key word, duplicate content should be avoided.
- Make sure that the content of the meta description summarizes the page content correctly.
- Motivate the reader to click. Use the meta description as a teaser that arouses curiosity.
- Integrate a Call to Action (CTA) at the end of the meta description, which prompts the reader to take the desired action.
Enter the page content in the meta description shortly after the AIDA principle ( A ttention, I nterest, D esire, A ction) again. Use the description by directing the interest of the searchers to your offer, arousing the buying interest and asking for action.
Example Meta-Title : Order a web hosting package cheaply Godaddy
Example meta description : Order a web hosting package cheap ✓ safe & fast ✚ WordPress web hosting & more ▷ 100,000 satisfied customers ➨ Order now & save!
SEO Guide: How do I choose the right keywords?
In order to achieve a good search engine ranking of your posts, you need information about the search behavior of potential visitors. There are free tools for the analysis such as the Google Keyword Planner , which is actually intended for the placement of online advertisements. Our Beginner Guide to Keyword Search gives you more tips.
SEO Guide: How do I check and optimize the impact of my metadata?
Linking the Google Search Console to your website provides you with numerous insights and statistics. An interesting piece of information for metadata optimization are pages with a relatively high search volume but a low click-through rate (CTR).
These posts are therefore shown to many potential visitors, but the text does not encourage the desired click. Reformulating the meta description with a more appropriate call to action can lead to higher click rates.
After the change, it can take a while for the search engines to display the new metadata in their search hits. Therefore, do not change them too often.
The Average Time on Page provides a further indication of the quality of your website. If visitors leave the page after a few seconds, they have probably not found the information they were looking for. This means that the description in the metadata has raised expectations among readers that the content satisfies. In these cases it is worth revising the content.
Summary: Fill out metadata conscientiously
The metadata is an important part of every single page of a website. They should be meaningful, inform visitors and search engines about the content and encourage them to click. Use the tips and hints given to optimize the metadata.