What is SEO – SEO is all the strategies used to improve the visibility of a web page through its positioning in Google.
Did what we just told you to sound like Chinese to you? Does the term sound familiar to you but you don’t quite understand how SEO works?
So, this post is perfect for you. And is that today we explain:
- What is SEO (but in addition to the definition, we also tell you why it is so important for your business).
- The different types of web positioning that exist.
- The key concepts you must know to understand how Google works (and positions).
Get ready, because not only are you going to find out what the happy SEO (Search Engine Optimization) consists of, but you are also going to discover what are the keys to positioning your website. 😉
Article Content Index
- What is SEO or SEO positioning?
- Why is organic positioning important in your business strategy
- Types of SEO that exist in web positioning
- 1. According to the aspect that SEO works
- A. SEO On Page
- B. SEO Off Page
- 2. According to the strategies to use
- A. White Hat SEO
- B. Black Hat SEO
- C. Gray Hat SEO
- 1. According to the aspect that SEO works
- Concepts related to positioning in Google that you should know
- 1. Google crawlers, robots or spiders
- 2. Indexing or how Google puts your content in its databases
- 3. The Google algorithm
- 4. What are keywords or keywords
- 5. What are penalties and why do you have to be very careful with them?
- How to work your search engine positioning to attract more traffic
What is SEO or SEO Positioning ?
We start with a definition:
SEO (acronym for Search Engine Optimization, which means search engine optimization) are all techniques or actions designed to increase the traffic of a website thanks to improving its positioning in the different search engines.
Although SEO is the best known term, it can be called in different ways:
- Web positioning.
- Search engine optimization.
- Positioning in Google.
- Organic or natural positioning.
- SEO positioning.
And so, different variants.
From the definition we must stay with two ideas:
- Increased visibility: the goal of SEO is to get more visits to a page.
- Search engine optimization: although Google is the king of search engines (and whenever we talk about SEO we mean Google), the meaning of SEO applies to all search engines (Bing, Yahoo, etc).
So far everything is clear, now we go to the heart of the matter.
Why is organic positioning important in your business strategy
If you are reading this post it is because you have a physical or online business or, at least, you are thinking of creating it (for now, let’s assume that you have already launched it).
Well, that means you have a website where you offer or sell your products and services. Great. But, how do you get your potential clients to reach that website? This is where SEO comes in. To attract traffic (or what is the same, visits) to your page, you can establish different strategies:
- Advertising ( Google Ads, Facebook Ads, Instagram, etc).
- Social networks.
- Networking (guest posts, events, etc).
- SEO ( content marketing would also come in here ).
Now imagine that your company is Digital Marketing Services. As it turns out, in Spain alone, there are 720 people a month who search Google for “SEO Services Chandigarh“
This is what Google shows us (incognito) if we search for that keyword. In the first place is Sector 35-c, then Sukhna path and in third place, SCO 320 first floor.
Of those 720 potential customers, these first 3 results, those that are positioned higher (hence SEO) , are the ones with the most options to win customers. Why?
Simple. By appearing in the first positions, they are the first ones that people will click.
In addition, users have already assimilated the idea that the search engine puts the most relevant things first, so we understand that in the first results we have more options to find what we are looking for.
That’s why it’s so important:
If you position yourself well for the correct keywords, you will have a stable and free flow of potential clients continuously entering your website.
➡️ Note: we have given you an example from the Seo services, but SEO is a valid strategy in any market.
Types of SEO that exist in web positioning
Within what is web SEO, different branches can be differentiated. We see it.
1. According to the aspect that SEO works
In this case, search engine optimization is divided into 2 main branches: On Page and Off Page .
A. SEO On Page
We call SEO On-Page factors to all the techniques we use to optimize our own website. For example:
- The content of the web.
- The internal structure.
- The indexability (we will see it later).
- The web architecture.
- The images.
These factors are the most technical of SEO, but they are also responsible for 90% of the success of an SEO strategy. We are experts in SEO On Page, which differentiates us from other companies that only focus on SEO Off-Page and neglect web optimization.
B. SEO Off Page
We speak of SEO Off page factors when we refer to the parameters that do not depend on the website itself, that is, they are external factors.
For example, the links that point from other websites to ours.
For many years these links have been manipulated to fool Google, but as we will see later, the king of search engines can no longer be fooled so easily.
Although backlinks (external links that point to our website) are still important within the algorithm, they are less and less so. The search engine tends more to value other aspects such as the user experience. Hence, we are reluctant to use this type of strategy.
And we cannot forget the Off-Page positioning based on branding (your brand image), which for us is fundamental.
2. According to the strategies to use
We enter a more controversial world, and it is that SEO can also be defined by talking about the 3 famous hats ( hat in English) of SEO:
- White Hat SEO.
- Black Hat SEO.
- Gray Hat SEO.
Depending on the strategies that the SEO expert uses, he will be assigned one or the other hat. Let’s see it.
A. White Hat SEO
White hat SEO’s comply with the quality guidelines for Google websites. This means that we never use illegal search engine tactics, or that we do not try to trick you into manipulating Google’s search ranking positions.
The reason: is it worth risking all your current and future web positioning (there are websites that never recover from a penalty) for using illegal techniques?
They don’t make any sense to us. 😉
B. Black Hat SEO
And as you can imagine, black hat SEOs are the ones who try to manipulate Google search rankings. Black hat SEO techniques look for loopholes that Google cannot detect to disrupt the rankings for their benefit, or for the benefit of their clients.
C. Gray Hat SEO
What are the gray hats? Those who stay a bit on the line and risk more than the whites, but do not use the riskiest techniques of Black Hat SEO.
Concepts related to positioning in Google that you should know
Now that you know why SEO is key in your business, it is important that you know some terms.
Therefore, we are going to give you a small “SEO dictionary” with which to understand the basic concepts of how web positioning works.
1. Google crawlers , robots or spiders
We start with the first rare term. 😉
You put a keyword in the search engine, hit the button and, suddenly, the search engine shows you a lot of results.
But how does all this content get to Google’s databases? This process is divided into 2 phases:
- The trace (the “reading”).
- Indexing (we’ll talk about this in the next point).
This reading of all the content that exists, Google does it through:
- Tracking robots or bots.
There are 3 ways to call them, but they refer to the same thing. These Google mini-agents enter each page and crawl all the content.
So to speak, first they read them, and then they file them.
2. Indexing or how Google puts your content in its databases
This even rarer word refers to the process that Google carries out to incorporate content (and its subsequent updates) to its databases.
This is very important because if your website has an indexing problem (usually due to a technical problem), Google will not be able to reach or store all the pages of your website, with a disastrous result for positioning.
Remember the example we gave you before “SEO services Chandigarh”. Now imagine that you created a specific landing page to attack that keyword, but due to an indexing problem, Google cannot read it. That would mean losing the option of attracting 720 potential customers each month.
It is understood, right?
On the other hand, if a website has a good indexability factor and allows Google to navigate it quickly, the search engine will index more internal pages of that page in its database.
That is why we always have to make things easy for robots or spiders, since this will translate into a greater probability of appearing in the first positions when someone searches for related keywords.
3. The Google algorithm
Let’s go with the origin of everything.
Spiders have already crawled and indexed content, now the most important thing is missing … assigning it a position in relation to a keyword.
Google always ensures that it positions looking at the quality of the content, but how does it determine which posts have the highest quality?
Through the algorithm.
The algorithm is like an examination that the search engine performs on the content to determine where it should be.
But do not think that it is an easy exam, Google evaluates more than 200 criteria within the algorithm and as you can imagine, the search engine does not reveal how it works (it does not care that SEOs try to manipulate the results).
We explain some of the points that the algorithm takes into account so that you can get an idea of everything it values:
- User experience: it is increasingly important for the search engine, since it understands that the better the user experience (UX), the better the content.
- Relevance: concordance of the content that the page offers in relation to the keywords that it wants to position.
- We put a silly example so that it is understood. Your website would not be relevant if you want to position yourself by keywords of cars, but all your content only spoke of motorcycles. It would have to see, but it wouldn’t be entirely relevant.
- Authority: If you had to hire a professional to perform a service for you, who would inspire you more confidence? A benchmark in the sector or someone just starting out? The first, logical, experience is a degree. Google determines the authority of a page on a topic with different criteria. The more authority, the easier it will be to position.
- Loading speed: yes, Google also considers many technical issues and this is one of them (and very important). Your page has to load fast if you want to earn extra points in order to improve your organic positioning.
- Navigation: very important, as is the web architecture. In addition to helping the search engine better understand “what is your website about” (the keywords you attack), it is decisive for good user experience.
This is just a small sample, but remember that the algorithm handles more than 200 criteria to assess in which position a content should be.
4. What are keywords or keywords
Keywords are the heart of SEO. Whenever you try to position a website, you must do it in relation to some keywords .
But before continuing, we will clarify one thing better:
A keyword is the text that a person enters in the search engine.
As we saw at the beginning, “renting a flat in Madrid” is a keyword, but it is also a very interesting keyword because it has a very high search volume (60,557 people search for that keyword on Google per month).
That is why everything starts with a good keyword research, if you do not know which are the keywords with the highest volume of searches, you will not be able to optimize your website correctly to attract more traffic.
Note: if you want to delve into this, we recommend that you read this post about what SEO keywords are and this one where we explain the different types of keywords that exist.
5. What are penalties and why do you have to be very careful with them?
The art of SEO is to indicate to Google how each web page should classify, but without falling into spam, or bad practices penalized by Google.
Ah, does Google penalize?
“Yes of course, and very harshly to those who violate their policies.”
Since 2011, Google took the problem it was having with spam in its search results more seriously, so it implemented the algorithm to combat it.
Do not forget that the success of Google is in offering its users quality results, so you must take care of this matter as much as possible.
Among all those algorithms to improve search results and try to eliminate spam, there are the 2 most famous known worldwide: Google Panda (2011) and Google Penguin (2012).
- Change of the Google Panda algorithm: with Panda, we intend to eliminate all low-quality content from the results displayed. To do this, Google begins to look at the update frequency, whether the contents are duplicated (both within the website itself or if they are copied from other websites), the length of the texts, etc. In this way, Panda has managed to eliminate from the search results web pages with low-quality content, which are of little use to the user.
- Change of the Google Penguin algorithm ( Penguin ) : before Penguin there was a technique used by some short-term SEOs (SEO Black Hat ), which consisted of launching thousands of links to their clients’ web pages. In this way, they managed to position them in the first positions with certain keywords in a very short time ( fast web positioning ).
After the penguin, all the pages that applied these techniques were damaged, and to this day, many of them have still not been recovered.
Therefore, all this series of “techniques” must be kept away from your business, since you could spoil the work of years in a very short time.
Panda and Penguin are the most famous updates, but that doesn’t mean they are the only ones.
Later came RankBrain (2016) or Fred (2017). Keep in mind that the algorithm is constantly being updated and that, normally, there is usually one profound change per year.
How to work your search engine positioning to attract more traffic
You always have to see search engine optimization as a long-term strategy. Think that we are talking about one of the basic pillars for your online business to work.
Can you imagine being positioned by that keyword “rent apartments Madrid”, which brings you many clients every month and, suddenly, losing it due to an algorithm update?
Well that happens, and a lot.
That is why we always follow the guidelines set by Google and we do not want to deceive you at any time.
Our clients are more protected from algorithm changes since we do not look for short-term success, but to grow in a safe and stable way.
Do you want us to help you with your web positioning? Contact us here.
Now, you can learn how to take advantage of Google to get more customers, with the free guide that we have prepared for you below.